One of the biggest marketing ideas in recent years has been the concept of Buy One Get One or known as BOGO. This can come in a variety of offers from “buy one get one free” to “buy one get one 50% off” or “buy three get one free”. But no matter the variety, they all do one thing very well—they drive sales.
The perception of the customer is that they are getting a big deal. And that is what matters. BOGO is one of the best “perception” offers you can use. But the beauty of this offer is in its benefit to the seller.
BOGO is designed to clear out and move inventory. Use it in that way. It is also a way to create cash flow. Use BOGO when you want to generate more cash. People have to buy more to get the offer, so you get more cash. While this is only true if your BOGO is a percentage off the second item, it does work. And since BOGO is a common offer for customers now, the psychology of the deal is often times the same, it still makes a customer feel like they are getting a great deal. Now you can apply this discount to your Shopify Account and we will walk you through it.
Create a Buy One Get One Discount
1. What you need to do first is to access the Shopify Admin. Login to your Shopify account.
2. Click the Discounts section on the left side to access the discount page.
3. Since we haven’t created any discounts yet, then this page is empty. Just click the Create Discount Code on the page to start creating your first discount coupon.
4. Enter the discount code. This is the code that you will give out to your customers and this is the code that they will enter at checkout. You can use the Generate Code and let Shopify generate the code for you or you can just create it yourself.
5. On the options, select the Buy X Get Y option on the discount type.
6. The Customer Buys section is where you indicate the qualifying product that the customer needs to purchase to avail the discount.
7. The Customer Gets, on the other hand, is where you will specify what the customer will get in buying the product. So in this example, the customer can purchase anything at my shop and he can purchase the LANPlug 2000 single for 50% off and he can only use this once per order.
8. For Customer Eligibility, you can set the coupon to be available to everyone or to a specific group of person, or only to a specific customer.
9. The Usage limits section is where you can set the limit of use for this coupon. You can set the number of times that this coupon can be used and you can also set it to limit it to one per customer. For this example, I just want this coupon to be used 10 times by different persons.
10. Set the dates. These are the dates on when the coupons will be active. If you won’t set an end date, then the coupon won’t expire.
11. Review the Buy X Get Y discount Summary on the right. Change the things that need changing and once you are done, click the Save Discount button at the bottom or the Save button on top.
It should give you a green callout, containing the Get Sharable Link button.
Click it and copy the link and you can use it wherever you like.
You can also use the Code and share it directly to your social media or any platform that you wanted to use. After creation, you can now see the created percentage discount on the discount list. So that is how you create a Buy 1 Get 1 discount to your customer.
Want us to walk you through it? Watch the video here!