As we all know, Shopify is an all-in-one platform for online sellers. You have an option to use buy your own domain name through Shopify. But if you already have purchased a website domain from a different Internet domain registrar (such as GoDaddy for this tutorial), you still are able to transfer your domain and let Shopify host it.
When you transfer a domain, management of the domain moves to Shopify, meaning you adjust your domain settings, pay for your domain, and renew your domain directly in your Shopify admin. Shopify does not provide email accounts as part of its domain services but does provide unlimited email forwarding accounts for your domain name.
Now let us walk you through on how to transfer your GoDaddy domain to Shopify automatically.
Connect Existing GoDaddy Domain to Shopify
1. What you need to do first is to access the Shopify Admin. Login to your Shopify account at http://www.shopify.com.
2. Click the Online Store sales channel on the left side to view the other sections then, click Domains.
3. Since we are connecting an existing GoDaddy domain, we need to click the Connect Existing Domain button.
4. It will then ask you to enter the domain name that you have previously acquired. Click Next after you have entered the domain name.
5. Shopify will automatically detect the internet domain registrar that you have used. Since we will do this Automatically, click the Connect Automatically button.
6. You will be asked to sign in to your GoDaddy account. Just sign in using the login details on where you purchased the domain name.
7. Then, GoDaddy informs you that they will be disconnecting the domain from their DNS records and change it to Shopify’s DNS records. Just click the blue Connect button to proceed with the changes.
8. It will then give you a Success confirmation informing you that the website is already a Shopify domain. Just click the Close button to go back to Shopify.
Shopify is going to verify the connection of your GoDaddy domain. You will then receive a green callout saying that your domain is now connected with Shopify.
9. What you need to do next is to make sure that your customer will visit your domain and not the Shopify branded domain. Click the Change Primary Domain link and select your domain name, then click Save.
You now have connected your Domain name to your Shopify account. So that is how you Connect Existing GoDaddy Domain to Shopify.
Want us to walk you through it? Watch the video here!